What is Campaign Manager?
Campaign Manager is an online tool that allows you to create a custom SMS campaign within minutes, with no coding or developers required. It is a pay-as-you-go product, where you only purchase the amount that you want to use. This tool allows for both one-way and two-way customer engagement and is ideal for campaigns such as promotions, reminders, alerts, event information, quick polls and notifications. You can also track the progress and performance of your campaigns from within your Clickatell portal.
Activating the Campaign Manager product gives you access to the following:
- Campaign scheduling and management: Define and schedule 1- way or 2- way SMS campaigns across various geographical regions
- Templates: Create and re-use campaign templates
- Opt-in management: Manage subscriptions and opt-outs across multiple campaigns
- Additional tools such as a bitly URL shortener and non-GSM character detector
- Contact and list management: Add, edit, delete and upload contacts and group them into customer segments
- Measure and optimize the success of campaigns: View delivery rate, click-through rate and other message-specific details
Getting started with Campaign Manager
Step 1: Register your Clickatell account & log in to portal
Sign up and create your free Clickatell account. Once you’ve verified your account, log in to your Clickatell portal. The first page you see is the Launchpad which is the home page that gives you an overview of the channels and products available in Clickatell and also gives you a summary of all the channels and products you have activated on your account. From here you can activate and set up the channels and products that you want to utilize. You can also use the left panel to navigate to the specific sections for more details.
Step 2: Activate the Campaign Manager tool
Activate the Campaign Manager tool on your account by clicking on the ‘Campaign Manager‘ button in the SMS section on your Launchpad. Provide the required information and click ‘Finish.
If you haven’t set up your billing details yet, clicking on the ‘Campaign Manager‘ button will direct you to the Billing & payments page to set up your billing details first.
When sending out your campaign messages, the cost of each message is subtracted from your credit balance. Ensure you have a sufficient balance by topping it up when necessary. Click on the ‘Top up balance‘ button in the top navigation bar. You can also enable auto top-up by navigating to Settings → Billing & payments → Top up balance.
Step 3: Build your campaign
Once you’ve activated your Campaign Manager tool, you can navigate to your Campaign Manager dashboard at any time by clicking on ‘Campaign‘ in the left panel of your portal.
This opens your Campaign Manager dashboard indicating the four steps you need to follow to set up a new message campaign. These also serve as shortcuts for commonly performed actions.
- Add the contacts you want to send the messages to by uploading a contact list or a single contact.
- Optionally enable two-way messaging by adding a long number or short code. If not done, a random number will be assigned to you and only 1-way messaging will be possible. Note: in the US, one-way messaging is now allowed and the campaign will be blocked if you don’t set-up two0way messaging.
- Top up your balance by adding credit to your cart and proceeding to checkout to make the payment.
- Write, preview and schedule/send your messages.
When in the Campaign Manager tool, you will notice the panel on the left is different from the navigation panel in your portal. You can use it to navigate to the specific settings and tools for your campaign:
- Dashboard – step-by-step walkthrough on how to set up a new messaging campaign; provides shortcuts for often-used actions
- Groups – group your contacts into customer segments and configure campaigns for each group
- Contacts – import and manage your contacts and view useful data about your contacts
- Campaign – create a new campaign and a campaign queue group/contact; create and re-use campaign templates
- Calendar – view and manage all your scheduled campaigns; click on a specific date to schedule a message which will then be sent on that specific day
- Short Links – create short links from any URL you want to add to your campaign message to minimize the number of characters used; view existing short links and their click-through rate
- Non-GSM Character Checker – ensure that your message contains only GSM characters; messages containing non-GSM characters are limited to only 70 characters
- Logs – use the ‘Actions‘ drop-down to view your SMS Outbox and SMS Inbox; you can view all messages that were sent or are scheduled to be sent and their statuses, as well as view and reply to all message received
- Preferences – edit settings such as company name, timezone, incoming SMS alerts, new subscriber alerts, etc.
- Logout – Log out of your Clickatell account
Note: to navigate back to your Clickatell portal Launchpad, click on the Clickatell logo in the top left corner.
Submit a Comment
Ask the Community
Visit Stack Overflow to join our community of developers and find the answer you need
Contact our support team and one of our agents will be in touch with you to answer any questions you have