What is Flow?
Flow enables you to fully leverage all of Clickatell’s product lines for seamless integration and for switching user engagement between a chatbot and an agent desk.
Flow is an easy-to-use web-based application that allows you to quickly and collaboratively design and deploy conversational experiences across multiple chat applications (e.g. USSD, SMS and WhatsApp). It also allows you to connect it to your organization’s core functional APIs with little to no coding experience. Its visual interface enables you to create, edit, preview and deploy flows to ensure you engage with your end-users efficiently via the channels they enjoy using most.
Flow gives you access to the following:
- Workflow builder and management tool – Migrate existing mobile applications, create new experiences or edit ones that don’t work effectively using our simple drag-and-drop user interface.
- Bot conversation management – Use tools such as our built-in keywords to manage dialogues as humanly as possible.
- Handover of conversations from Flow workflows (bot-based conversation) to a human agent using Clickatell’s Chat Desk.
- API integration – Connect to 3rd party APIs and add some personality to your conversations within minutes and without developer resources; utilize predefined integrations from your library and incorporate them into your flows. This will allow your user experience to be replicated to all operational markets quickly and across our rapidly expanding list of chat application partnerships.
Flow is currently available to use with the following channels:
Getting started with Flow
To start using this application, you first have to activate and configure it by following the steps below.
Step 1: Register your Clickatell account & log in to portal
Sign up and create your free Clickatell account. Once you’ve verified your account, log in to your Clickatell portal. The first page you see is the Launchpad which is the home page that gives you an overview of the channels and products available in Clickatell and also gives you a summary of all the channels and products you have activated on your account. From here you can activate and set up the channels and products that you want to utilize. You can also use the left panel to navigate to the specific sections for more details.
Step 2: Request Flow access
Send a request to email@example.com indicating that you require a Flow account to be set up.
The Clickatell team will then help you set up your Flow account and configure the channels you want to utilize via Flow. They will create user profiles (including access and permissions), of which at least one is an admin user from your company that can manage your Flow product. Clickatell will inform you once this setup is completed and will provide you with a client ID, login instructions, and next steps. This setup process usually takes 2-3 days.
Note: Although Clickatell configures the ability to connect to your various channels via your Flow account, the channels will not function until you activate them in your portal (Step 3) and link them to your flow (Step 5)
Step 3: Activate channels
To activate your channels, navigate to the Launchpad in your Clickatell portal. Configure the channels you want to utilize via Flow by clicking one of the following buttons and completing the set-up wizard:
- Create SMS HTTP API (for SMS)
- Apply now (for WhatsApp) – you will need to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and inform them that you want to get WhatsApp for Touch Flow.
In each case, you will be provided with a unique API key that will be used to link the channel to your flow (see Step 5).
Note: The approval of your WhatsApp application may delay when you can start using this channel in your Flow product. You can build your flow (Step 4) while you wait for your WhatsApp approval.
Step 4: Design flow
Once Clickatell has set up your Flow account, you can start building your flow(s) to cater for your specific use case.
Note: Clickatell offers professional services where we assist you in designing and building your flows. For more details and pricing information, contact email@example.com.
Step 5: Link Flow to your channels
To link the channels you’ve activated in Step 3 to the flow you’ve built in Step 4, set up the relevant routes in Flow.
Step 6: Link Flow to Chat Desk (optional)
Your customers might require a human counterpart to answer their queries from time to time. Chat Desk is Clickatell’s easy-to-use web-based application that enables real-time communication with your customers via a single web interface. As part of your workflow in Flow, you can direct your customers to Chat Desk to put them in contact with a ‘human agent’ (and back to Flow if required).
Note: this is only applicable to the WhatsApp channel
To set up this link:
- Set up Touch and configure Flow in your Clickatell portal.
- In your Flow account, add a ‘Touch‘ node at the point in your flow where you want to direct your customer to your Chat Desk to interact with an agent. When configuring the Touch node, you need to add an API token as indicated below.
- This API token can be found in your Clickatell portal by navigating to Touch → Configure Touch from the left panel and clicking on the ‘Manage‘ button in the Activate Flow block.
- Copy this API key from your Clickatell portal and paste it into the ‘API Token’ field of your Touch node in Flow.
Important: As a final step, you have to send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org (or to your account manager) so they can complete one final step necessary to successfully link the flow with your Chat Desk.
Submit a Comment
Ask the Community
Visit Stack Overflow to join our community of developers and find the answer you need
Contact our support team and one of our agents will be in touch with you to answer any questions you have